Saturday, September 6, 2008

Family Time


We often feel "buried" and "overloaded" in our lifes. Why is it that we live such a fast paced, over stimulated life?? I often think that in today's information technology world, that we can never quiet get-a-way from the hustle and busle of career, kids activities, church events, etc. etc. etc. Well, we finally did it this summer when we took our trip to Mexico as a family. We did not take a lap-top, cell phone, or even a hint of home with us that would make us feel burdened or stressed. We completely wanted a get-a-way, and we got it. I think Mexico was great, but Leah and I needed to completely reconnect with ourselves and our kids. The greatest gift a parent could give to their child is to love their spouse. I think in turn, Leah and I got a wonderful gift as we saw a precious friendship formed even deeper on our vacation when Drew and Delaney did not have any other distractions, and only had one another. They played, laughed, and got along so well. It was awesome to be able to only make one decision for the day. Pool Or Beach??
Well, it did not take long to get back into the chaos of our world when we returned. Almost immediately, we were buried again with activities and events that consumes our lifes. But, tonight, we called a time out, and just us 4 went to the TCU Horned Frog football game. Traditionally, this event is for Drew and I only, and occasionally, Big Daddy joins us. But we had extra tickets tonight, and so it was a family affair. Wow! It was not Mexico, but we ate nachos, sausage wraps, hamburgers, cotton candy, and ice cream. We took that well needed time out in our lifes, and reconnected. It felt great, and I cherish these times with our kids. As Eddie Sharp shared with us a few weeks again at our marriage retreat, if your children are between the ages 6-11, you are living the "golden years". We'll, I am in the "golden years", and I am going to do what I can to keep the distractions limited, and the connections strong. Hope you'll do the same!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that you started a blog! Now I can keep up with you guys. I did not know Leah went back to work. Super duper mom is right!

I was a little jealous of your Mexico trip story. I am really looking fwd to living life with our kids. It gets better, easier and more fun daily. I am not wishing away these years, but looking fwd to the years down the road. Check out our blog there are new funny pics of the girls.

Miss you and Leah. Give her a big squeeze for me.
SK